Thursday, October 25, 2012

Announcing the HackRF Beta

Jared Boone and I had the honor of presenting the keynote at ToorCon 14 over the weekend. In our talk, HackRF: A Low Cost Software Defined Radio Platform, we described our project to build a low cost, open source, wideband, portable Software Defined Radio peripheral. You can watch video of the presentation or download the slides.

In addition to introducing HackRF to the ToorCon audience, we announced the HackRF beta test program. Thanks to DARPA's Cyber Fast Track (CFT) program, we are able to build a few hundred HackRF Jawbreakers and will distribute them to ToorCon attendees as soon as they are completed (hopefully around December). Each attendee of ToorCon 14 (and also the recent GNU Radio Conference) received a unique beta invitation code that can be redeemed for a Jawbreaker as soon as the hardware is ready to ship.

Jared and I are very excited to be able to give away so many beta units. I'm not sure if any open source hardware project has had such a well funded beta program, but we think that giving away hardware in exchange for feedback (and hopefully some code) is a good trade in keeping with open source ideals.

If you have an invitation code, look for an announcement on the HackRF page around December telling you how to redeem your code for a Jawbreaker. I know there are many of you out there who wish you had an invitation code, and I'm sorry that our funding for the beta program is finite! The redemption system, once it is live, will include a way to sign up for a waiting list if you do not have a code. There will probably be some extra beta units that we will distribute to as many on the waiting list as we can.

My hope for the beta program is to validate HackRF Jawbreaker, resulting in a well-tested open source design that anyone can build or modify. I also plan to release a commercial HackRF product (similar to Jawbreaker) that will be available for purchase after the beta.

Thanks for all the kind words of support at ToorCon and since!

24 comments:

Mr Mookie said...

You tricked me. I thought I could join the beta at this link. haha

Michael Ossmann said...

Sorry! This is just letting non-ToorCon people know what is going on.

Curd Rice Aurora said...

Same as Mr Mookie. Argh.

Anonymous said...

Looking forward for the final result

Anonymous said...

Watched the toorcon video on youtube. Great stuff! I've been dabbling with one of the cheap USB tuner dongles and SDR is a lot of fun. Being able to transmit is beyond awesome. Any change you guys will set up a kickstarter in the near future?

Unknown said...

I really want to be a part of this project. I know I'm not yet up to par on the tech. But I'm digging deep into the field itself. So I'll be following closely.

Anonymous said...

Soooooooo.... when can us plebes buy one?!

Derek said...

Great project guys.
Can't wait to get one and start experimenting.

Derek

Michael Ossmann said...

Thanks for the support, everyone. If the beta goes well, watch for commercial availability in Q2 2013.

Unknown said...

Can you make a mailing list? That's the easiest way for my colleagues and I to stay informed on this.

Michael Ossmann said...

Major announcements about HackRF will be made on the Great Scott Gadgets announcements mailing list.

Dr.Tune said...

Niiiice! I was looking at the schematic and the Maxim RF+ADCDAC, thinking "...wha? 2.4Ghz only? Meh!"

...and then I saw the last page and the RFFC5072 - now there's the rug that's really going to tie the room together. :-)

Lovely design; totally want a pair. Mmm mmm!

Cory Walker said...

I will definitely be picking one of these up. Keep up the amazing work. Cheers from UTK.

Anonymous said...

Hmm I wonder how difficult it would be to increase the bitrate on this, as it is the only feature looking less than ideal right now for some operations.

None the less I'm eagerly keeping an eye on this one.

will a

Anonymous said...

Hello dear Michael. Sorry for reiterating all the previous posts, but still. When the device will be available for purchazing and what`s the easiest way to obtain it ?

Michael Ossmann said...

For current information on HackRF availability, please see:

http://greatscottgadgets.com/hackrf/

Agen Bola Terpercaya said...

i like this website so much . Agen bola terpercaya

Agen Bola said...

nice see you dear

Anonymous said...

I'm Khloé Zac, I tried to invest my savings into forex broker's trade during Pandemic and ever since last year December have been trying to withdraw my savings and each time i try to withdraw i'm asked to pay for fees and Tax fees, last Month june 26th i discovered that it was all scam and i have already lost $450,000 US dollar's. I was referred by my bestie who know so much about the internet and he referred me to Vitor programmer, i emailed him and he asked me to get in touch on WhatsApp and i did as he instructed, after 32 hours of reaching out to Vitor Programmer i received a notification on my phone screen and it was blockchain and my funds were recovered full without stories, i am writing this because a lot of people complain of being scammed online while trying to have there funds recovered, kindly Email: Vitor@programmer.net, WhatsApp contact: (+1) 519 / 398 / 1460, and tell him that you are from Khloé Zac.




Recovery Lost Funds From Online Scammer's/ Cryptocurrency/ Recovery of Stolen bitcoin 

Unknown said...

I recommend professional expert Programmer Email: vitorzprogrammer@gmail.com, for Recovery Funds / Cryptocurrency / Binary / Forex / Recovery of Stolen Bitcoin / Report scammers and blocking of Scammers Emails, website's, phone number's / Removing Bad Records from Both Public and Private database: Whats App (+1) 519 / 398 / 1460

Unknown said...

Is an Honor to share this testimony about Timo Spell that changed my life for good. It all started when I lost my job and I was down financially and emotionally because I couldn’t be able provide for my family and staying home all day Jobless it’s not easy, until when I saw a series of testimonies hearing people winning the Powerball lottery, I didn’t believed, but being poor no job you have no option. I gave it a try and I contacted Him and he told me what I have to do before I can become a big lottery winner and I accepted. He made special prayers for me in his temple and gave me the required numbers to play the lottery game and when I used the numbers to play it, I won a massive $1million Powerball jackpot. I was so happy and I chose to review my winning on any platform, I would love other people to seek his help you can also Reach him on Instagram page: @timospell0 He will give you the winning ticket number?? and exact location address in your country and where you will play the lottery game. Reach her on Email: timospell0@gmail.com or WhatsApp:+1 (845) 207-8532

Anonymous said...

QUALITY SSN DOB DL HIGH CREDIT SCORES Leads
CC with CVV Fullz (USA, UK, CANADA)
Tutorials & E-Books For Ethical Hacking
Tools For Everything You Need

I'm On Telegram = @killhacks & I C Q = 752822040

Stuff available for
(Spamming, Carding, Ethical Hacking, LINUX, Programming, Scripting, etc. )

Deals in all kind of Tools, Tutorials, E-books, Leads/Fullz/Pros
Availability 24/7
FASTEST DELIVERY

Build Your Own Business with proper guide & Legit Tools
Always glad to serve

GOOD LUCK
Here I'm:
I C Q = 752822040
Tele-gram = @killhacks

TelU CampusLife said...

"What is the content of the announcement regarding the HackRF Beta?" greeting : https://bit.telkomuniversity.ac.id/sosialisasi-program-bangkit-2023/

Teknik Telekomunikasi said...

What was the purpose of the HackRF beta test program announced at ToorCon 14, and how did it aim to involve the community in the project's development? Telkom University