We resolved to sleep well Monday night and have a good breakfast. These goals were achieved.
Tuesday morning we established our battle plan for the day, and it centered around sculpting the main body of the beast. In order to prepare for this, our principal morning activity was to insert pins (grafts? sutures?) across the terrible crack on either side of the body. These were fused in place by lunch. In the afternoon we added buttresses (which ended up being flying buttresses) to provide additional support and contact area across the crack. After dinner we declared the structure sound enough to survive a chainsaw, so we attacked it immediately. By midnight it was almost entirely shaped, and we called it a day. The sculpture appears to be quite sturdy, and we didn't even have to modify the overall shape all that much to make it so.
Throughout the process of reinforcing the cracked body, there was plenty of time to do other things while waiting for bonds to cure. We worked on the wheel (the thing that people turn) and the windmill blades. We also started preparing the three largest tentacles and finished all the machine parts.
We have our work cut out for us tomorrow, but we believe that we can finish the piece by the time the horn sounds at 9:00 PM.
Oh, and yes, that tentacle pictured in my previous post is one of ours. We have not yet resorted to stealing from Junichi.