Monday, May 06, 2013

Introducing Daisho

At TROOPERS13, Dominic Spill and I presented Introducing Daisho, Monitoring Multiple Technologies at the Physical Layer (video, slides). It was the first public presentation about Daisho, a new project to build an open source hardware platform for in-line monitoring of several different wired communication media at the lowest possible layer. The project targets high speed communication technologies (Gigabit Ethernet, SuperSpeed USB 3.0, and HDMI in particular) for which limited tools exist today.

A basic principle of Project Daisho is that we want to monitor communication media at the physical layer or as close to the physical layer as we are able to achieve. Since any monitoring platform is capable of reconstructing activity at the monitored layer or higher, we think that security applications will be best served by monitoring at the lowest possible layer.

The platform is designed to be used as a pair of circuit boards that work together. (If you look up "daisho" you'll find that it is a word for a pair of swords; our Daisho is a pair of boards.) The mainboard consists primarily of an FPGA and a SuperSpeed USB 3.0 port for connecting to a host computer. The front-end module has a pair of transceivers and connectors for a particular target communication medium. Each target technology will have its own front-end module. Data arriving at one connector on the front-end module are passed to the FPGA on the mainboard and then exit the other connector on the front-end module. This man-in-the-middle architecture allows us to perform in-line monitoring and should also permit future active applications including injection or modification of transmissions on the target medium.

Dominic and I are joined on this project by Marshall Hecht, Jared Boone, Mike Kershaw, and Benjamin Vernoux. It is a big project, and we are thankful to have support from DARPA's Cyber Fast Track program.

The project is entirely open source hardware and software, and it has many potential applications beyond monitoring of communication systems. We're especially excited to be producing the world's first open source USB 3.0 device core for implementation of SuperSpeed USB with a transceiver IC and FPGA. (The USB 2.0 functions are already working!)

11 comments:

Z3r0C00L said...

NIce Article dude, I came across this at roxmon.com.

I really want to come to ACT roxmon to see your presentation on Daisho.

This all depends on bloody work :)

Anwyas, thumbs up and keep blogging about Daisho, highly interested.

Z3r0C00L

Herbert Poetzl said...

Hey, Herbert here from the apertus AXIOM project (FOSS/OH Cinema Camera).

I got a hint that you are working on high speed protocols like USB and HDMI, and I thought it might make sense to have a chat how we could collaborate and possibly share resources.

In any case, all the best,
Herbert

Agen Bola Terpercaya said...

nice to see this topic. Agen bola terpercaya

Agen Bola said...

hi dear Agen Bola

Unknown said...

A module with an RF Transceiver can be made. Making it a basic SDR.
I have done this before using the JESD204B.
Please check this out Might be possible.

Anonymous said...

I'm Khloé Zac, I tried to invest my savings into forex broker's trade during Pandemic and ever since last year December have been trying to withdraw my savings and each time i try to withdraw i'm asked to pay for fees and Tax fees, last Month june 26th i discovered that it was all scam and i have already lost $450,000 US dollar's. I was referred by my bestie who know so much about the internet and he referred me to Vitor programmer, i emailed him and he asked me to get in touch on WhatsApp and i did as he instructed, after 32 hours of reaching out to Vitor Programmer i received a notification on my phone screen and it was blockchain and my funds were recovered full without stories, i am writing this because a lot of people complain of being scammed online while trying to have there funds recovered, kindly Email: Vitor@programmer.net, WhatsApp contact: (+1) 519 / 398 / 1460, and tell him that you are from Khloé Zac.




Recovery Lost Funds From Online Scammer's/ Cryptocurrency/ Recovery of Stolen bitcoin 

Unknown said...

I recommend professional expert Programmer Email: vitorzprogrammer@gmail.com, for Recovery Funds / Cryptocurrency / Binary / Forex / Recovery of Stolen Bitcoin / Report scammers and blocking of Scammers Emails, website's, phone number's / Removing Bad Records from Both Public and Private database: Whats App (+1) 519 / 398 / 1460

Robbin said...

My name is Davies, I was in love with my wife and we were married for eight years with a son his is Liam,I loved my wife so much she had access to all my bank account and even my cash app which my accountant agreed to and said it was a great idea, then it took my wife and my accountant two month to get hold of all my properties,all accounts but I had a cash app which they knew nothing about,I was thrown out of my own house was sleeping in a hotel for weeks she also took possession of my son could only see him once a week then I found out she was in love with my accountant all these while so I went online and I came across a private investigator who help me get all my properties and my accounts back even my company back how he did these I don’t know but I gave all the information he asked for and followed all his instructions and now I’m happy my life’s better now.
Thanks to premiumhackservices@gmail.com
Text (407) 777-4240
I just said I should share my own story here
Thank you

mike said...

i was lost with no hope for my wife was cheating and had always got away with it because i did not know how or
always too scared to pin anything on her. with the help a friend who recommended me to who help hack her phone,
email, chat, sms and expose her for a cheater she is. I just want to say a big thank you to
HACKINTECHNOLOGY@GMAIL.COM . am sure someone out there is looking for how to solve his relationship problems, you can also contact him for all sorts of hacking job..he is fast and reliable. you could also text +1 213-295-1376(whatsapp) or telegram +16692252253 contact and thank me later

ANDRAINO ADAMS said...

Mr Pedro and his investment funding helped me achieve my project funding with the return of 2% rate in return for loan amount of 500,000.00 Euro to finance my project and it was very fast and secure so I will advise anyone here looking for loans or investors to contact Mr Pedro on WhatsApp:+1-863-231-0632 Email: pedroloanss@gmail.com
Thank You.

Anonymous said...

QUALITY SSN DOB DL HIGH CREDIT SCORES Leads
CC with CVV Fullz (USA, UK, CANADA)
Tutorials & E-Books For Ethical Hacking
Tools For Everything You Need

I'm On Telegram = @killhacks & I C Q = 752822040

Stuff available for
(Spamming, Carding, Ethical Hacking, LINUX, Programming, Scripting, etc. )

Deals in all kind of Tools, Tutorials, E-books, Leads/Fullz/Pros
Availability 24/7
FASTEST DELIVERY

Build Your Own Business with proper guide & Legit Tools
Always glad to serve

GOOD LUCK
Here I'm:
I C Q = 752822040
Tele-gram = @killhacks