Thursday, January 31, 2008

smoking transformers

Having just received a new transformer in the mail, I was able to piece together a first attempt at a new power supply tonight. This allowed me to properly test the hot wire cutter for the first time. I am happy to report that it sliced through a block of ice quite easily. I had it up to about half of (theoretical) maximum power, and it cut as fast or faster than any hot wire I have used to date. This was the first time I have ever seen 19 gauge nichrome get red hot. I was afraid that it might become too brittle when hot and snap under the tension, but it remained intact. Unfortunately I had to cut my test short because the new transformer started making ominous crackling noises and then started to smoke a little bit!

The unit is rated for 2000 Watts, but, in hindsight, I think that rating is only for one of its secondary windings. It has a primary winding of heavy gauge wire rated at 100V, a secondary winding of the same wire at 95V, and various lower voltage secondaries from 15V to 30V. I plugged in a variac with its variable tap connected to the new transformer's primary winding and attempted to use one of the lower voltage taps to power the hot wire at 0-30V. It started to crackle at about one quarter power and smoke at half.

I think my problem was that the winding I used does not have thick enough wire for my power level. Instead of using the new transformer to step down from high to low voltage, I'll just use a lower voltage tap on the variac and use the 95/100 tap on the new transformer for isolation.

5 comments:

poker online said...

Dance is a special fun and having more difficulties in this field some steps are very difficult. Main thing is the confidence and time management of every second. Without time management dance performance is zero. All types of online writing services are available here.
poker online

poker online indonesia said...

Hey, It really is incredibly very good and informative website. Hold writing the great carry out, Good to find out your web site.
poker online indonesia

poker online terpercaya said...

A clean and beautiful swimming pool in the backyard is a dream of owners. It is one such luxurious facilities where people make out time to relax. Not all the houses in your community have a pool and when you have onepoker online terpercaya

Agen Bola Terpercaya said...

One of the best ways to standardise the look and feel of your business office is to give uniforms to all of your employees for daily wear. If you are thinking that uniforms are boring and drab, you have not researched them lately.Agen bola terpercaya

Agen Bola said...

Many thanks for your info. You provided meals for believed. Many thanks for sharing the data. Every on the greatest for you.Agen Bola.